Monday, March 23, 2009

Our Garden is growing - March 2009!

As promised, here are some updated pics on how our garden is doing. You can scroll down to my previous post for the full before and after effect.




It looks a lot greener, right? Starting with the purple in the middle of the page and going across: 1st bed: purple cabbage, 2nd bed: Angel's garden, 3rd bed: empty bed. Next row: 1st bed: potatoes and beans, 2nd bed: onions, lettuce, beans, cosmos, 3rd bed: empty. The bed in the very bottom right hand corner is our spinach and green cabbage bed (which is almost gone - I'm going to miss fresh spinach!)

The cement block bed at the bottom contains one blackberry plant. My husband planted it there. I don't know how well it will do. I haven't researched blackberry plants yet. Add advice in the comments if you have it!







M's garden - he has one marigold, 2 peppers, and one tomato plant (that he dug out of my garden and replanted into his own - it's not doing too well).













This is A's garden. He's got a variety of things - broccoli, potatoes, beans, cosmos, peppers, peas, onions, and more.
















And here is what our experimental bed looks like. It's got tomatoes, peppers, and some cucumbers in the back.






The next post will cover the garden in our front yard. If I could, I would till up most of the grass and put in more garden beds. But then we might not be able to sell our house (when that time comes).

5 comments:

  1. oh i love how your kids have their own gardens! thats so wonderful.

    we are trying blackberries for the first time this year also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Suzanne! You're such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in such awe! How long did it take you to do all this? I feel slightly overwhelmed with what I have to do after looking at your pictures. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been working on this since we moved into the house 5 years ago. We started with just one of those beds, and they've slowly started taking over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your potatoes look good! I see some of your dill is starting to bolt - 2 of my plants are too - but we finally got some swallowtail caterpillars on them so the kids are excited. Hopefully the birds don't get them...

    ReplyDelete